Stearns County Auditor/Treasurer
Randy R. Schreifels
Stearns County Alcohol Ordinance Number 409 details the restrictions and regulations around alcoholic beverages.
If your establishment is remodeling, or you have a new building, contact an Inspector to see if an inspection is required. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/age/alcohol/Pages/inspectors.aspx
Certified Liquor Training Programs
Employee training programs are designed to prevent the sale of alcoholic beverages to minors. Participation is voluntary on the part of the licensees and permittees. Nonetheless, in the event of a substantiated violation of the Ordinance, a licensee or permittee who can sufficiently demonstrate that such a program has been implemented in a given license or permit year shall be eligible for reduced penalties.
Training Program Information
Contact the Stearns County Sheriff Office to inquire on employee training programs.
Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association
Liquor Licenses available in Stearns County:
3.2 Percent Off-Sale Beer: $75
3.2 Percent On-Sale Beer 12 Months: $190
3.2 Percent On-Sale Beer 6 Months: $130
3.2 Percent On-Sale Beer (One Day): $40 per day
Intoxicating Liquor Off-Sale: $350
Intoxicating Liquor On-Sale: $2,300
Intoxicating Liquor On/Off-Sale: $2,650
Sunday Liquor License: $200
Wine License: $300
Special Event: $50
Temporary Liquor License: $75
Late Fee: $7 for license fee less than $201, $50 for license fee more than $201
for applications submitted after the due date
Bottle Club (Set-up): $200
A permit issued under this section authorizes the establishment to permit the consumption and display of intoxicating liquor on the
premises. The permit does not authorize the sale of intoxicating liquor.
Intoxicating Club License:
- Club has more than 50 members;
- Club has owned or rented a building or space in a building for more that one year that is adequate for the accommodation of its members:
- Club is directed by a board of directors, executive committee, or other similar body chosen by the members at a meeting held for that purpose. No member, officer, agent or employee shall receive any profit from the distribution or sale of beverages to the members of the club, or their quests, beyond a reasonable salary or wages fixed and voted each year by the governing body.
Fee is based on number of
51-200 members $300
201-500 members $500
501-1000 members $650
1001-2000 members $800
2001-4000 members $1,000
4001-6000 members $2,000
over 6000 members $3,000
2:00 A.M. Bar Closing: fee is based on last 12 months of gross receipts
Contact the Stearns County Auditor Office at 320-656-3923 for more information.
Liquor Licensing Requirements for Stearns County
1. Complete/Fill out applications
- Include listing any violations
- The name of the Applicant/Licensee must be the "True Name" -
"True Name" means: the full name of an individual, if a sole proprietorship; the true full name of the church/non-profit organization; the true full name of each partner in a partnership; the full corporate name as stated in the Articles of Incorporation, if a corporation.
2. Submit Certificate of Liability Insurance
- The name and address on the Certificate of Liability Insurance must match exactly with the names on the liquor license application.
- The dates on the Certificate of Liability Insurance must match with the dates of the license.
- If your total sales of On-Sale 3.2% malt liquor are less than $25,000 per year or your total sales of Off-Sale 3.2% malt liquor are less than $50,000 per year you do not need a Certificate of Liability Insurance, however you must indicate this on your application.
3. Registration with the Secretary of State
- If the Trade Name differs from the Licensee name, the trade name must be registered with the Secretary of State.
- If the Licensee's name is a corporation, partnership, or other type of business organization such as a charitable or religious organization - the Applicant must be registered with the Secretary of State.
- Contact the Secretary of State for the forms to register your business at the following website: (send a copy of the application showing proof you registered with the Secretary of State) www.sos.state.mn.us/business/forms.html
4. Applicant has authority to sign on behalf of the Licensee
- Sole proprietorship - the owner must sign the application (unless the Applicant has written authority from the Sole proprietor to do so, a copy of the authority must be submitted with your application)
- Corporation/Unincorporated/Association - the CEO or President must sign (unless the Applicant has written authority from the Board of Directors to do so, a copy of the authority must be submitted with your application.) Indicate your position (CEO, President, etc) next to your signature on the application.
- Partnership - a general partner must sign (unless the Applicant has written authority from the partners to do so, a copy of the authority must be submitted with your application)
5. Submit Township approval, the name on the township approval must match with the applicant.
6. Submit a Point of Sale sketch/map of the area the alcohol will be consumed.
7. Submit your fees. (Checks should be made out to Stearns County Auditor-Treasurer)
MN Department of Public Safety Requirements
View a checklist of forms and requirements needed to complete Licensing process with the State of Minnesota: www.dps.state.mn.us/alcgamb/alcenf/licreq.htm
Frequently Asked Questions
Minnesota Department of Public Safety Alcohol FAQs: www.dps.state.mn.us/alcgamb/alcenf/alcfaq.html#top
Application for catering licenses: www.dps.state.mn.us/alcgamb/alcgamb/CATER.pdf
Information on liquor laws: www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/340A/
Register your organization with the Secretary of State at www.sos.state.mn.us/business/forms.html
Information regarding 2:00 A.M. Bar Closing: www.dps.state.mn.us/alcgamb/2amindustryletter.htm
705 Courthouse Square, Room 148
St. Cloud, MN 56303
807 Courthouse Square, Room S100
St. Cloud, MN 56303
Department of Public Safety
444 Cedar Street, Suite 133
St. Paul, MN 55101-2156